Sunday, April 27, 2008

"The Power Is Yours!" (Assignment)

Since childhood, I've dedicated a considerable amount of my time and energy towards environmental protection. The kids of my generation grew up watching Captain Planet, so the virtues of ecologically safe practices were ingrained in our minds at an early age.

I've been very fortunate to live in a community where the benefits of recycling have always been stressed; so much so that, as long as I can remember, we've always had bins for recyclable waste available to us long before it became mandatory in New York City.

For a brief interval, my friends in the neighborhood and I organized a community-action group for kids. We called it the YES Club (Young Environmental Savers). Unfortunately, our activism extended no further than some personal manifestos about the need to protect the environment, as the greatest threat to our existence was posed, not by global warming, but by the continual disintegration of Earth's Ozone layer; not as many people knew about global warming, then.

More to follow...

No comments: